Louis Poulsen A/S

History

For more than seventy years, Louis Poulsen has collaborated with visionary architects and designers to produce innovative lighting solutions for buildings and their surroundings. The superior styling, craftsmanship and quality of Louis Poulsen products can be found in prominent projects worldwide.

2016

Louis Poulsen participates at the Stockholm Furniture & Light Fair in February, where the new PH 3½-2½ series is presented with coloured metal shades. In addition, the first models of the NJP wall and floor lamps are shown. The Patera lamp is presented in all three sizes: Ø450, Ø600 and Ø900 cm.

Louis Poulsen exhibits at Light + Building 2016 in Frankfurt, which is the world’s largest trade fair for lighting and building services technology, and in addition to its Patera pendants, the company exhibits a newly developed pendant for large rooms, LP CITÉ, by the Swiss/French designer Julie Ricoh, as well as the LP Grand family, designed by Christian Flindt. The exhibition proves a great success for the new products. Furthermore, LP Circle is presented with Kelvin Adjustable.

In February, Louis Poulsen opens a new showroom in Lysaker on the outskirts of Oslo. The showroom is located in an area of piers overlooking Oslo Fjord.

In May, a large showroom opens in Los Angeles in Helms Design Center in the Helms Bakery District on Venice Boulevard in Culver City. The showroom opens with a special ‘three pendants’ event.

For the third year running, in October Louis Poulsen launches a copper lamp, the PH 3½-2½ Copper Floor Lamp, which is only sold between 1 October and 31 December.

2015

Louis Poulsen participates at the Stockholm Furniture & Light Fair in February with a 100-square-metre stand. At the fair, Louis Poulsen launches the NJP lamp designed by nendo, and the PH 3½-2½ Copper Table Lamp. The copper table lamp is only sold in the period 14 March to 15 June in a limited edition. Both lamps are received very positively by the public. 

Between 14 March and 15 June, Louis Poulsen sells more than 10,000 PH 3½-2½ Copper Table Lamps.

On 7 August, a special exhibition of old PH lamps opens in the foyer at Concert Hall Aarhus. The exhibition comprises more than 40 legendary products, with a wide and varied collection of PH’s ingenious lamp designs. The exhibition is open until 15 September. 

2014

Louis Poulsen exhibits at the biggest lighting expo worldwide, Light + Building 2014 in Frankfurt. The company shares a 400-square-metre stand with Targetti, and shows, among other things, a new LED version of PH Artichoke, the LP Circle family as well as the new lamp from Mads Odgård, MO500, and a new bollard by Christian Flindt, the Flindt Bollard

Louis Poulsen is acquired by the Danish private equity company Polaris. Polaris originally sold Louis Poulsen to Targetti Sankey, and now Louis Poulsen is back in Danish hands again.

Louis Poulsen launches the PH 3½-3 pendant in copper in a limited edition. The lamps sell extremely well, and the company advertises on TV for the first time.

The Flindt Bollard wins the ELFORSK Prize 2014, with the following comments: The jury was very impressed with the product’s thoughtful design in all areas – energy efficiency, its light properties and a unique light experience, aesthetics and design, vandalism resistance, etc.

9 September marks the 120th anniversary of Poul Henningsen’s birth. The anniversary is celebrated with a birthday cake in the showroom at Gl. Strand, and in the evening the author and researcher Hans Hertel gives a sell-out talk at Politikens Hus in Copenhagen to a packed audience of 400 people who are interested in PH.

Louis Poulsen publishes the magazine catalogue Louis Home in print run of almost 180,000 copies worldwide. At the same time, a new version of a PH product from the late 1920s is launched, the PH 3½-3 pendant. Four new and inspiring colours are used on the three well-known shades.

Louis Poulsen is finally acquired by Polaris on 10 December, and Christian Engsted, who has previously been CEO and President for Martin Professional A/S, is appointed the company’s new CEO.

2013 

In March, the company introduces the PH Contemporary concept. The classic PH 5 lamp is launched with a new bold colour combination. The launch attracts considerable attention in both Danish and international lifestyle magazines, but it also proves extremely popular with consumers.

LP Circle, a family of ceiling products, is introduced in September. Even before the launch, the product has been installed in offices in London.

The pendant is based on a customised product for the primary and lower secondary Ørestad School in Copenhagen, and is designed by Mikkel Beedholm/KHR Architecture.

Louis Poulsen is put up for sale by Targetti Poulsen Industries.

2012

silverback
There are several items of news during the first few months. Louise Campbell designs a new pendant, LC Shutters.

foster and partners
F+P Wall is launched in cooperation with Foster+Partners – a minimalist LED fixture for indoor and outdoor use.

ph lamper
The 'PH light - Poul Henningsen's lighting design 1920-2012' exhibition at Koldinghus Museum closes in August after receiving more than 50,000 visitors.

Doo-wop
In September 2012 Louis Poulsen reintroduces the Doo-Wop pendant – a new, but faithful, edition of the former Navy Pendant. Following a 30-year leave of absence and countless requests, the light is relaunched in updated colours and a pure brass version.


louis poulsen
At Culture Night, Louis Poulsen opens a special exhibition with artist Tenka Gammelgaard in the showroom at Gammel Strand in Copenhagen.

2011

The first Louis Poulsen online store opens for private customers in Denmark. The online store gets off to a strong start, with over 65,000 visits by December. 

ph bord
Louis Poulsen launches the PH 2/1 table lamp.

poul henningsen
Koldinghus Museum opens a special exhibition entitled 'The PH light – Poul Henningsen's lighting design 1920-2012' in December. At the exhibition, almost 100 unique PH lights from Louis Poulsen's trove are literally brought into the light.

2010

AJ hotel
The SAS Hotel Royal (now the Radisson BLU Royal Hotel Copenhagen) and the AJ Royal series celebrate their 50th anniversary. To mark the occasion the series is launched in 5 douche colours inspired by Arne Jacobsen's original colour samples for the Swan and Egg.

AJ privat
Louis Poulsen launches AJ 50 Wall – an outdoor light related to the AJ Royal series. The light is produced exclusively with an LED light source.

certificate
Louis Poulsen receives the AIA Honors for Collaborative Achievement Award – the American Institute of Architects' most prestigious award. Louis Poulsen is the first lighting company in the world to receive the award, and is very proud of this acknowledgement.

oj series
Louis Poulsen launches the OJ series in cooperation with designer and ceramicist Ole Jensen. The series breaks in many ways with perceptions of Louis Poulsen design, yet is still faithful to our minimalist attitude to light.

2009

glaskogle

PH Artichoke celebrates its fiftieth anniversary with events in Torino, Copenhagen, Los Angeles, and Moscow. An exclusive limited edition comprising just fifty lights made using real gold is presented to the world.

glaskogle

2008

The IKON exhibition wins silver at the Creative Circle Award in the design category Corporate Identity.

Three PH luminaires celebrate their 50th anniversary – PH Artichoke, PH Louvre and PH5. To celebrate, Louis Poulsen adds a PH Artichoke with a sand-blasted glass finish to its standard product range.

Lorenzo Targetti becomes new CEO. Managers Hans Lindeberg, Kurt Carstensen and Søren Schølhammer become responsible for day-to-day management.

Louis Poulsen exhibits at Light + Building in Frankfurt, Germany. The exhibition marks the official start of the company’s new partnership with Targetti.

At Light + Building, Louis Poulsen introduces the F+P 550 pendant designed by Foster+Partners, Snow Floor designed by Louise Campbell and the Aeros pendant designed by Ross Lovegrove.

Two Louis Poulsen luminaires receive the ADEX award in the US. Enigma 825 receives the Platinum award and the Collage pendant receives the Gold award. The ADEX awards are given honors for superior design in interior decoration and building materials.

2007

Louis Poulsen exhibits for the first time at Euroluce in Milan.

Louis Poulsen launches the LP Hint post designed by Helena Tatjana Eliason, the downlight Teherani designed by Hadi Teherani, the spotlight Transair designed by Ross Lovegrove, and the Flindt series designed by Christian Flindt.

Louis Poulsen, Fritz Hansen, Royal Copenhagen, Bang & Olufsen and Georg Jensen co-organize the IKON exhibition at the Storefront gallery in New York City. The exhibition curator is Jonas Harz. The exhibition is part of the export campaign “Creative Nation”.

Louis Poulsen Lighting is acquired by Italian lighting company Targetti Sankey SpA headquartered in Florence.

2006

Gammel Strand 28, on Zealand, becomes the company’s new headquarters after a major renovation. The building boasts both a showroom and a light studio.

Enigma 825 is awarded the design prize iF Design 2007 in Germany and is exhibited at the 2007 iF Design Exhibition in Hannover.

The inground luminaire IPR14 wins first prize for lighting design at the FX Awards 2006, established by British design magazine FX.

Louis Poulsen USA co-organizes the Scandinavian design exhibition in Los Angeles.

2005

Louis Poulsen Lighting announces that the company’s production division in Copenhagen is moving to Vejen in Jutland. The relocation takes place in stages and must be completed by the end of 2005. The relocation means the dismissal of 180 employees, but all of them will be offered re-employment at the new factory. The company’s relocation is necessary as plans for the development of the local area around the factory at Sluseholmen do not justify the renovations and adjustments to the old factory, and are unable to accommodate the demands and needs for rational and profitable production of luminaires in the future.

Louis Poulsen Lighting participates in Expo 2005 in Aichi, Japan. ”Northern Light” is exhibited in the Nordic Pavilion – a lighting installation in cooperation with Peter Bysted Design. A number of luminaires from Louis Poulsen Lighting’s standard range illuminate the pavilion.

On March 10th, the Campbell pendant, designed by Louise Campbell receives the iF Product Gold Design Award which is awarded once a year at the Hanover Trade Fair in Germany.

Peter Thorsen is re-appointed CEO of Louis Poulsen Lighting A/S.

2004

Louis Poulsen Lighting, Fritz Hansen, Royal Copenhagen and B&O cooperate on an exhibition in Tokyo on the occasion of Her Majesty Queen Margrethe's official visit to Japan in November. The exhibition titled, “Styling Danish Life”, is created by the world-famous architect Tadao Ando.

Enigma 425 is awarded the design prize iF Design 2004 in Germany.

2003

Louis Poulsen Lighting A/S signs a cooperation agreement with Martin Professional A/S, which gives Louis Poulsen Lighting A/S the sole rights to market Martin Professional A/S' architectural products in Scandinavia.

Louis Poulsen Lighting is awarded the »Copenhagen Environmental Network Diploma« by the Environmental Protection Agency in Copenhagen. The diploma is awarded to companies that make a positive environmental impact.

The Q luminaire, designed by Seedorf Design is nominated for the “Red Dot Award “, an honor granted by Design Zentrum Nordrhein Westfalen.

In Paris, the Moser pendant receives the French design prize, “Coup de Coeur”.

Among 200 participants, Louis Poulsen El-teknik A/S achieves 2nd place in the year's e-trade award.

On October 26th, Louis Poulsen Lighting launches the pendant Enigma, designed by the Japanese designer Shoichi Uchiyama. Before the end of 2003, approximately 2300 units of the new pendant are sold.

Enigma wins the iF (International Forum Design) award it is chosen out of 1,630 submissions from companies in thirty-two countries.

”Danish Design Connection” sees the light of day – a cooperation between some of the heavyweights in the Danish design sector and The Danish Cultural Institute in Germany. ”Connection” used in this context stands for the joint cultural consciousness about design and architecture that exists in Denmark.

In November, Louis Poulsen Lighting launches a Louis Poulsen Collection product, PH 2/1 Stem Fitting - a type of luminaire that was in production in the 1930's where it was available with a varied number of lamps and levels. 9000 units of the numbered PH 2/1 Stem Fittings, manufactured in burnished brass, were sold within the two-month offer period. In autumn 2005, the PH Stem Fitting will be launched as a standard product manufactured in chrome-plated brass.

2002

With its head office in Hilden near Düsseldorf, Louis Poulsen & Co. GmbH celebrates its 40th anniversary. The subsidiary, Light Makers A/S takes over the marketing of Zumtobel Staff's products and discontinues the cooperation with the German lighting manufacturer ERCO.

The pendant, LP Charisma, receives a design award which is awarded by Chicago Athenaeum, Museum of Architecture and Design.

Louis Poulsen Lighting A/S receives “The Golden Nail”, which is awarded by the Danish National Association for Building and is motivated by Louis Poulsen Lighting's long-time work with functional lighting for indoor and outdoor use.

2001

Louis Poulsen Lighting A/S sells its subsidiary in Sydney, Australia which then becomes one of Louis Poulsen Lighting's distributors. The innovative pendant, LP Charisma, developed by Louis Poulsen Lighting A/S in cooperation with PLH Design is awarded the Danish Design Award 2001 in the category »product design/building and the workplace«.

To mark the centenary of the birth of Arne Jacobsen, Fritz Hansen and Louis Poulsen Lighting A/S introduce a limited and numbered birthday package comprising 3 pieces black-lazured Ant chairs, 1 black-lazured egg-shaped table, as well as the Stelling glass pendant. In total, 2,066 birthday packages were sold between February and May.

2000

The previous class "A" shareholders and the new owners of the Louis Poulsen Group enter into an agreement regarding a new Danish light foundation, the Sophus Fund. Every year, the fund distributes DKK 500,000 in support of experimental and artistic lighting projects.

Louis Poulsen Lighting A/S marks the beginning of an entirely new retailing concept and the establishment of specialty stores - LPL centre - in the Danish department store Illums Bolighus and in the Ingvard Christensen furniture stores in Vejle and Esbjerg. In addition, approximately 60 shop-in-shop stores were established at retail outlets across Denmark.

1999

Louis Poulsen acquires the data electronics wholesalers MCOM in Sweden and Estonia.

The Louis Poulsen 125th Jubilee is commemorated by an international design competition for architectural students as well as festivities for employees and business relations all over the world. To mark the occasion, for a limited period, the company markets a chandelier designed by Poul Henningsen, the Bombardment Chandelier, originally found in the Louis Poulsen product range from the early 30s until the 60s. Within a period of two months, 10,000 Bombardment Chandeliers are sold.

1998

The measuring instrument division of Elpefa A/S is established as an independent limited company under the name of ELMA A/S. The electrical supplies division is acquired by Norsk Elektroteknikk ASA and Nordisk Elektroteknik AB.

The PH 5 luminaire has now existed for 40 years - we celebrated this anniversary by launching a special anniversary model.

1997

In January 1997, Louis Poulsen Lighting Division becomes the first lighting business in Denmark and one of the first in Europe to receive environmental certification according to British Standard BS7750.

Louis Poulsen closes its wholesale operation in Berlin at the end of April 1997.

Erik Holm is appointed President.

In November, Louis Poulsen acquires the UK company, Outdoor Lighting (OLS) Ltd. The OLS range of specialty floodlights, spotlights and recessed lighting will extend and supplement Louis Poulsen's outdoor lighting program. The new company will be Louis Poulsen's platform for sales and marketing projects in the UK.

1995

The wholesale electrical supplies division launches sales departments in Horsens and Herning, both in Denmark.

The wholesale electrical supplies division establishes Louis Poulsen Kommunikation and Louis Poulsen Datalinien. The Louis Poulsen factory at Sluseholmen introduces a quality management system which receives ISO 9001 certification.

1994

Poul Henningsen would have turned 100 years old on September 9, 1994. Louis Poulsen & Co. A/S celebrates the occasion by publishing a book on the history of the PH lamp, by recreating the PH table lamp and TREPH pendant of the late 1920s, and by arranging an exhibition of old PH lamps at the Museum of Decorative Art (Kunstindustrimuseet) in Copenhagen.

1991

Louis Poulsen launches its first wholesale electrical supplies subsidiary abroad in Berlin and Germany.

A lighting subsidiary is set up in Japan.

1990

The subsidiary Lightmakers A/S and a lighting subsidiary in Switzerland are established.

1989

Louis Poulsen purchases Skandia Havemann's El A/S, thereby acquiring 16 wholesale electrical supplies outlets.

A lighting subsidiary is launched in Finland.

1988

Lighting subsidiaries are launched in the Netherlands and Australia.

1987

A lighting subsidiary in Norway is established.

Louis Poulsen Group sales pass the 1 billion Danish kroner benchmark.

1985

A lighting subsidiary in the USA, a wholesale electrical supplies business in the Faroe Islands, and JO-EL A/S are launched.

1984

The trade and engineering firm Elpefa Handels- og Ingeniørfirma A/S is founded.

1981

Louis Poulsen purchases the S.C. Sørensen company's wholesale electrical supplies division, thereby acquiring eight wholesale electrical supplies outlets.

1978

The wholesale electrical supplies warehousing function moves from Sluseholmen to two new locations outside Copenhagen. The old warehouse building is converted for production use.

1977

The metal goods manufacturer Elpefa A/S merges with Louis Poulsen.

Louis Poulsen class B shares are quoted on the Copenhagen Stock Exchange for the first time.

1976

Hans Cordes is appointed managing director after the death of Jens Kaastrup-Olsen.

1975

A lighting subsidiary is launched in Sweden.

1969

Elpefa A/S moves to a new factory building in Sluseholmen and takes over all production and assembly of fixtures and fittings.

1967

The partnership I/S El-Salg is founded.

1965

The Laurits Henriksen metal goods factory changes its name to Elpefa A/S.

1964

The wholesale sales division grows with the acquisition of A/S Classen-Smidth which provides Louis Poulsen with branches in Odense and Vejle.

A lighting subsidiary is established in France.

1962

The first lighting subsidiary outside Denmark is launched in Western Germany.

1959

Louis Poulsen's new building at Sluseholmen in Copenhagen is inaugurated. It will be used for fluorescent lamp assembly and as a warehouse for electrical supplies.

Jens Kaastrup-Olsen is appointed managing director.

1958

The PH5 pendant is launched. The “5” in its name refers to its 50 cm diameter.

1941

Louis Poulsen & Co. A/S acquires the Laurits Henriksen metal goods factory in Copenhagen and becomes a manufacturer of luminaires.

The first issue of LP-NYT is published with Poul Henningsen as editor.

Henningsen designs a blackout lamp for the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen that allows the Gardens to stay open until midnight. The light from these luminaires cannot be seen from airplanes flying over the city.

1939

Louis Poulsen & Co. becomes a limited company: Louis Poulsen & Co. A/S.

1938

Sophus Kaastrup-Olsen dies and Emun Rager becomes managing director.

1933

The first wholesale electrical supplies business opens in Jutland (Denmark).

1929

Louis Poulsen distributes Henningsen’s lamps through agents throughout most of Europe, in North and South America, Africa and Asia.

1926

Louis Poulsen and Poul Henningsen are awarded a contract to provide lighting for the newly constructed Forum building in Copenhagen using the now-legendary PH luminaire with three shades.

Louis Poulsen begins marketing light fittings and its first lighting catalog is published with descriptions in Danish, German, English and French.

1925

Poul Henningsen's lamps win a gold medal at the exhibition.

1924

Designer Poul Henningsen begins collaborating with Louis Poulsen with a view to taking part in an international exhibition for decorative art to be held in Paris called "Exposition Internationale des Arts Decoratifs & Industriels Modernes". A competition is held to find qualified participants. Henningsen is one of the winners.

1918

The industrial and agricultural sectors are utilising electricity to an increasing degree: Louis Poulsen's turnover exceeds five million kroner.

1917

Sophus Kaastrup-Olsen buys Louis Poulsen's share in the firm for 10,000 Danish kroner and becomes the sole owner of Louis Poulsen & Co (Louis Poulsen).

1914

Louis Poulsen & Co. publishes its first catalog - featuring machines and tools.

Sophus Kaastrup-Olsen becomes a partner in the firm. The company’s name is changed to Louis Poulsen & Co.

1906

Ludvig R. Poulsen dies. His nephew Louis takes over the business and two years later moves it to Nyhavn 11, which is still the home of the company's head office today.

1896

Ludvig R. Poulsen hires his nephew, Louis Poulsen.

1892

Denmark's second power station opens in central Copenhagen and Ludvig R. Poulsen opens his second business, this time selling tools and electrical supplies.

1891

Denmark's first electric power station opens in Odense

1874

Ludvig R. Poulsen sets up a wine importing business under the name Kjøbenhavns direkte Vin-Import-Kompagni (The Copenhagen Direct Wine Import Company). The firm closes in 1878.